This deal requires an American Express credit card that earns Membership Rewards points and possibly Amazon Prime.
Amazon is offering 20% off your order, up to a $100 discount, when you use Membership Rewards points to pay for at least part of your purchase. The Cliff’s Notes is that this is even working on Amazon gift cards, as long as you buy at least $100 worth of third-party gift cards (e.g. AirBnB, Lyft, Netflix, Safeway, Starbucks, Southwest Airlines, Uber, Whole Foods, etc.).
Here are the steps:
- If you do not already have an American Express card with Membership Rewards linked to your account, add one now and activate Shop with Points at this link.
- Visit this link and click on “Click to activate.” The vast majority of people will get a success message here, though a few people are being told they are not eligible. If it says you are not eligible, sorry, you’re not eligible.
- Add at least $100 of third-party gift cards or regular purchases to your cart. Amazon has a ton of options for third-party gift cards.
- Add as much Amazon.com gift card to your cart as you want, up to a total $500 purchase to receive the maximum discount of $100.
- Go to checkout, choose your American Express card, and you should see an option if you scroll down to Shop with Points. The default is to pay with as many points as possible. Don’t do that. Set it to $0.01 (1 point).
- The checkout page should now update to show your 20% discount, and you can complete your order.
The terms do say “Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards or third-party gift cards,” but it is working. At some point they might end the promotion or cancel orders, but I’ve already received my purchase. Order quickly, and it should work for you too.